CLEVELAND — A 37-year-old man is dead after an overnight crash on I-90 West at West 41st Street in Cleveland.
He has since been identified as Juan Antonio Bonilla Lopez Jr., of Cleveland, according to the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner's Office.
The crash happened at around 1 a.m. when a 2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer was speeding in the westbound lane of I-90.
The driver lost control, striking the center median wall. Eventually, the car continued in a "westerly" direction, striking a sign and engulfing into flames near West 41st Street. The vehicle split in half and the victim was ejected from it.
Cleveland EMS tells 3News that other people were transported from the scene with minor injuries.
A tire from the 2007 Chevrolet hit a 2020 Jeep Gladiator that was driving East on I-90. Both the driver and passenger were treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
I-90 West was temporarily closed as a result of the crash, while ODOT reported that I-90 East also experienced some lane restrictions.
ODOT later tweeted the situation had been cleared and I-90 West was fully reopened by 5:23 a.m.
This is the second time this week that I-90 West was closed in Cleveland due to a crash. This unrelated incident happened at Dead Man's Curve, causing the roadway to be closed for several hours late Wednesday morning.
- 3-year-old girl dies in Akron after struck by vehicle in parking lot
- Akron man dies after struck by freightliner on I-77 in Bath Township
- Man dies after 2 pedestrians struck by vehicle in East Cleveland
- City of Cleveland begins new traffic calming pilot program
- The Ohio State Highway Patrol starts 'Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over' campaign
- 19 train cars involved in Stark County derailment after crash with Mack truck
Editor's note: Video in the player above was originally published in an unrelated story on Aug. 15, 2022.