Cleveland's Leading Local News: Weather, Traffic, Sports and more | Cleveland, Oh | WKYC.com

Fire on Cleveland's east side kills dog

Two people were hospitalized, but no serious injuries were reported.

CLEVELAND — Crews spent Monday morning battling a fire on the city's east side, located in the 3600 block of E. 113th Street.

According to Cleveland Fire Lt. Mike Norman, crews received the call just after 7:30 a.m. 

Norman said all occupants escaped the home, including a woman who had to jump from the roof. She was hospitalized for smoke inhalation, and a man suffered burns. Firefighters were seen carrying a dog from the home, but Norman said the pet did not survive.

Norman said the fire was started by a space heater that caught a couch on fire, causing it to spread from the first floor upward to the attic.

"Once it gets a head start like that, and time is really of the essence when fighting these fires, if this had a couple extra minutes, it can get away like that," Norman said.

Norman says the fire has been ruled accidental.