x
Breaking News
More () »

Firefighters clean up nitric acid spill at Cleveland State University

The incident began around 12:30 p.m. on Sunday.
Credit: Thinkstock
These HAZMAT team members have been wearing protective suits to protect them from hazardous materials during a disaster preparedness drill and have to go through decontamination washes.

CLEVELAND — The Cleveland Division of Fire was called to clean up a nitric acid spill at Cleveland State University Sunday afternoon, according to officials in charge. 

Crews were called to East 24th Street on CSU's campus around 12:30 p.m. for reports of a chemical spill that needed neutralization. 

SUBSCRIBE: Get the day's top headlines sent to your email inbox each weekday morning with the 3News to GO! newsletter

According to Lt. Mike Norman with Cleveland Fire, HazMat officers were dispatched after half a gallon of nitric acid was spilled in a closed classroom. At this time, officials believe that the spill was an accident related to cleaning. 

Nitric acid is a highly corrosive chemical compound that can cause severe burns and is considered toxic to humans. 

No injuries were reported from this incident. 

MORE LOCAL HEADLINES:

RELATED: Cleveland police searching for driver, vehicle involved in fatal Saturday night hit-skip on city's east side

RELATED: Shooting outside Akron nightclub injures five, including 16-year-old girl