Lace up those sneakers and get ready to run this weekend for the 41st annual Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon.
There's busy weekend of activities whether you're running in one of the events, or just taking in the sights and sounds of Cleveland. Below is a guide to everything you need to know:
When is the race?
There are actually several races this weekend. On Saturday, May 19, the Rite Aid Cleveland 5K & 8K will get underway at Public Square starting at 8:00 a.m. The Rite Aid Cleveland One-Mile starts at 10:00 a.m. at Public Square.
On Sunday, May 20, Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon, Half Marathon and 10K starts at 7:00 a.m.
The starting spot will be on Ontario St, at the northwest corner of Quicken Loans Arena and the finish will be at Superior Avenue and W. 3rd Street.
What is the race course?
Click here for a map of the various courses for the Cleveland Marathon, Half Marathon, and 10K
How will traffic be affected?
The full marathon route reaches as far west as western Lakewood and as far east as E. 17th Street. That means many roads will be closed, or partially closed, during the morning.
Here is a list of street closures:
Where are recommended places to watch the race?
- Public Square (south end of square for start of race) Mile .3
- Playhouse Square - US Bank Plaza at Playhouse Square (E. 14th and Euclid Ave) Mile 1
- Flats - Main and Old River Road (By Beerhead and Coastal Taco Restaurants) Mile 2.8
- Lincoln Park - Starkweather and W. 14th, Tremont Mile 5.8
- By Market Garden Brewery (Parking lot) Runners on W. 24th. Mile 7.2 (full and half) Mile 4.5 (10K)
- Detroit Ave. Between W. 25th and 85th Street (Gordon Square Arts District) Miles 11 & 12 Half Marathon; Miles 24 & 25 Full Marathon; Mile 5 10K
- Lakewood Park (Lake Avenue and Belle in Lakewood) Mile 20.5
- Superior and W. 9th Mile 26
There are also several "Neighborhood Parties," showcasing Cleveland's different neighborhoods, featuring parties or cheer stations that are open to the public. Click each neighborhood to get more information about their respective gatherings.
- Tremont - Lincoln Park along Starkweather and W.14th - Block Party, Music Mile 6.5 Runners from 7:00 - 9:00 a.m.
- Ohio City - Franklin - Mile 7.2- Runners from 7:10 - 9:00 a.m.
- Detroit Shoreway – Detroit Avenue between W. 25th and W. 78th - Gordon Park Arts District Cheering and Music - Runners from 8:00 a.m. - 1:30 pm. Gordon Square Arts District) Miles 11 & 12 Half Marathon; Miles 24 & 25 Full Marathon; Mile 5 10K
- Lakewood Park - Lakewood and Belle Avenue - Music. Miles 14.5 and 20.25 (marathoners pass twice). Runners from 8:00 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Downtown - 26.3 Mile Rock Party at the Finish Line! - Faction Cleveland
Don't worry if you're not into the whole lace-up your sneakers, and go idea, you can check out great photos from the route taken by the people at FreshWater by clicking, here.