On Wednesday, the Greater Cleveland Sports Commission announced that Thomas will serve as the host of the 2023 Greater Cleveland Sports Awards. The event, which will once again take place at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse, is scheduled for January 25 and serves as the "premier annual sports fundraiser supporting Greater Cleveland Sports Commission and celebrating a year of athletic achievements in Northeast Ohio from high school stars to professional athletes."
Selected by the Cleveland Browns out of Wisconsin with the No. 3 pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, Thomas established himself as one of the best left tackles in football history during his 11 seasons with the franchise. During his time in Cleveland, Thomas was named to 10 consecutive Pro Bowls (2007-2016), six first-team All-Pros and two second-team All-Pros, while playing an NFL record 10,363 consecutive snaps before a torn triceps ended his 2017 season -- and ultimately his career.
After retiring following the 2017 season, Thomas has been nominated for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2023 class and is widely expected to be a first-ballot inductee.
But before he gets the call for Canton, Thomas will first host the Greater Cleveland Sports Award, which will begin with a cocktail hour presented by Medical Mutual and Ancora in the RMFH Atrium including a Silent Auction presented by Physicians Ambulance, open bar and high-end food stations.
Guests will then head to their seats for refreshments, drinks compliments of Beverage Distributors and Miller Lite, and the fully produced awards program. An After Party, courtesy of Westfield, featuring martini and dessert bars, food stations and a live DJ, will take place after the show.
This year's award show will include nominees for the following categories:
- Male High School Athlete of the Year presented by University Hospitals Drusinsky Sports Medicine Institute
- Female High School Athlete of the Year presented by University Hospitals Drusinsky Sports Medicine Institute
- Male Collegiate Athlete of the Year presented by H. Jack's Plumbing & Heating Co. "The Super Plumber!"
- Female Collegiate Athlete of the Year presented by H. Jack's Plumbing & Heating Co. "The Super Plumber!"
- Professional Athlete of the Year
- Sports Development Award
- 5-Star Senior Athlete Award presented by Medical Mutual
- Lifetime Achievement Award presented by Union Home Mortgage
- Cleveland Clinic Sports Medicine Courage Award
- Best Moment in Cleveland Sports presented by JACK Entertainment
Tables for the event are available for purchase with prices ranging from $11,500 to $4,000 and guarantee the purchaser 10 seats, a cocktail hour, refreshments during the show and the after-party. Individual tickets for $350 will be available beginning in early November and include a cocktail hour, refreshments during the show and after party access.
More information can be found at clevelandsportsawards.com.