A spokesperson for the city of Cleveland has confirmed that the city is currently holding discussions with the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture about preserving the gazebo where Tamir Rice was shot.

The city announced last week its intentions of demolishing the gazebo, located at Cudell Rec Center. Demolition was originally planned for this week.

The city will now delay demolition for 30 days, according to a statement from mayor's office Monday evening. Read the full statement below:

"On Friday, April 29, Ms. Samaria Rice contacted the Cleveland Law Department asking that the City not deconstruct the gazebo at Cudell Recreation Center because the Smithsonian Institute was interested in preserving it. This morning the Law Director received confirmation from Mr. William Pretzer of the Smithsonian Institution, on behalf of the National Museum of African American History and Culture, stating that they were interested in exploring the possibility of an historic preservation of the gazebo. Because of their expressed interest in discussing possible relocation of the gazebo, the City will delay deconstruction of the gazebo for thirty days to allow that discussion to continue."

On Monday night, a spokesperson for the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture said they have no plans to bring the gazebo into the collection. However, they are helping another organization start the conversation and explore the possibility.

Rice family attorney Subodh Chandra said last week that the family had an informal agreement with the city to replace the gazebo with a memorial.