PARMA, Ohio -- Police are investigating after a man was killed during a crash following a pursuit Monday morning.

The crash happened during a two-minute police pursuit at the intersection of Ridge and Pearl roads between a car and a garbage truck around 5:14 a.m.

Video of the pursuit and crash can be seen in the player above.

Officers were chasing the vehicle after an alleged shoplifting incident at the Giant Eagle on Day Drive. Police say some of the alleged stolen items included steak, lobster tail and beer.

A pursuing officer began following the suspect vehicle on Ridge Road near West Ridgewood Road. The suspect vehicle fled northbound and turned on some side streets before turning back onto Ridge Road. As the suspect car approached the intersection at Pearl Road, the driver failed to negotiate a turn and the car slid into a garbage truck sitting in the left turn lane.

The driver's side door of the car struck the left front bumper of the truck and came to rest facing southbound on Ridge Road before the car caught fire.

The driver, 31-year-old Robert Jones, was killed in the crash. Jones' 48-year-old mother was a passenger in the front seat and his 5-month-old daughter was in the back. Both were rescued from the burning vehicle and taken to the hospital. Police said during a news conference Monday that the baby's injuries are serious.

One officer suffered burns after his pant leg caught fire while trying to pull the passengers from the burning car. Another officer suffered minor injuries when he broke a window during the rescue. The driver of the garbage truck was also taken to the hospital with neck and back injuries.

During the time of the pursuit, Sergeant Daniel Ciryak said officers were unaware that there was a passenger and a child in the back seat of the car.

"Had [officers] known they would have terminated the chase immediately," said Ciryak during a press conference Monday afternoon.

When asked if the a police pursuit was warranted for a shoplifting offense, Ciryak said the department leaves it up to officer’s discretion to determine whether or not to pursue a vehicle.

"I know it’s a minor offense but if he would have stopped, I mean look at the lives he put in danger by doing this, and he paid the ultimate sacrifice for it."

Ciryak said he is not sure why Jones fled from police, noting that Jones had da valid driver's license and no warrants. The vehicle he was driving was registered under another man. Police are still investigating the connection.

The grandmother's identity has not been released because she has not been charged in the incident. Ciryak said there may be shoplifting charges pending as authorities move forward on their investigation.