NEWBURGH HEIGHTS, Ohio — Authorities have released dashcam video from a deadly weekend crash that claimed the lives of two teens Saturday afternoon.
The Newburgh Heights Police Department responded to the situation around 12:21 p.m. Saturday in the area of I-77 North and Harvard Avenue to assist the Cuyahoga Heights Police Department after “a stolen Ford Explorer fled from a traffic stop by their officers.”
Police say the vehicle passed the Harvard Avenue exchange at approximately 105 mph as it was clocked by a photo enforcement camera.
“The vehicle weaved through traffic, went off the right side of the roadway where it broke through the guardrail,” police said in a press release. “The vehicle then crashed into the Fleet Avenue bridge abutment and burst into flames.”
When officers approached the crash, they discovered two people were trapped inside but could not extricate them due to heavy flames.
Both occupants – who were 17 years old – died at the scene.
“During the subsequent investigation, there were two loaded firearms discovered in the vehicle,” police said.
The Ohio State Highway Patrol is handing the investigation into the traffic crash.
You can watch the full video below:
- Suspect arrested, charged for hit-skip that killed 13-year-old boy in Richland County
- Solon police: Vehicle pursuit ends in crash, death of female passenger
- Pickup truck hits and kills child riding a bike in Richland County, flees scene
- Victims identified in fatal Geauga County crash that killed 5, injured 3 more
- 1 dead after car crashes through fencing on bridge near East 28th Street and Cedar Avenue