AKRON, Ohio — Construction work and ramp closures are set to begin this week as crews make repairs on the East Avenue bridge over Interstate 77/76 in Akron.
The Ohio Department of Transportation will be closing several ramps as crews begin to repair the East Avenue bridge that was damaged after a semi-truck carrying a bulldozer struck the bridge on Dec. 3. ODOT said the overpass sustained structural damage during the incident.
ODOT will be closing the following ramps beginning on Monday at 8 p.m.:
- The ramp from I-76 eastbound to I-76 eastbound/Kenmore Leg will be CLOSED. The detour will be I-277 eastbound to I-77 northbound to I-76 westbound.
- The ramp from I-76 eastbound/Kenmore Leg to I-76 eastbound will be CLOSED. The detour will be I-277 eastbound to I-77 northbound.
- The ramp from V. Odom Boulevard to I-76 eastbound will be closed. The detour will be Superior Avenue to Russell Avenue to East Avenue.
ODOT will also be reducing traffic to one lane on 76 east under the East Avenue bridge along with the following nightly closures:
On Tuesday at 10 p.m.:
- I-76 eastbound under the East Ave. bridge will be CLOSED through Wednesday morning, Feb. 6 at 6 a.m. for bridge repairs. The detour will be I-76 westbound/Kenmore Leg to I-277 eastbound to I-77 northbound.
On Feb. 11 at 8 p.m through Feb. 15 at 6 a.m.:
- I-76 westbound under East Avenue will have various nightly lane closures for bridge repairs. These restrictions will occur nightly between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. for bridge repairs.