MINNEAPOLIS, Minn — Sitting outside stadiums and ballparks surrounded by friends, grilled grub and super fans... likely won't happen in 2020. But that doesn't mean we can't tailgate and celebrate virtually!
Chef Troy Benedict is the culinary services director at New Perspective, a senior living community in Waconia, Minnesota. Chef Benedict has been hosting virtual or socially distanced tailgates with residents at New Perspective during the pandemic because so many people can't visit their loved ones who've been stuck indoors.
Here are a few easy ways to involve granny with the grilling so everyone can be part of the gameday festivities.
- Choose your video conferencing platform ahead of time, like Zoom, Skype or Facetime
- Send out an invite to join in the virtual tailgate explaining that you'll lead everyone in a group grilling party. Guests need to provide their own grill at home along with the ingredients
- Provide the recipe and the shopping list
- Ask everyone to dress in team colors, hats, jerseys, cheerleading costumes etc. Have a most spirited fan contest
- Set the mood with fun decorations
- Start your cooking demo and grill as a group
Bourbon Brat Skewers
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups whole mushrooms
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked bratwurst links, cut into 1-inch slices
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first five ingredients. Add the vegetables; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least one hour
- Drain and reserve marinade. On six metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread the vegetables and bratwurst
- Spoon some reserved marinade over vegetables and bratwurst
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until bratwurst is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, turning and basting frequently with reserved marinade during the last five minutes