AMHERST, Ohio — An 18-year-old Lorain man is being charged after allegedly crashing a car into a building in Amherst on Saturday morning.
Amherst police officials say that the accident happened at around 4:21 a.m. when a 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan crashed into Barra Restaurant at 105 Park Avenue, causing significant damage.
On Thursday, Amherst police announced that 18-year-old Connor Cordy is being charged with failure to control. Surveillance video from the crash can be viewed at the top of the story.
The occupants of the vehicle, an 18-year-old boy and a 16-year-old girl, were taken to Mercy Health with non-life-threatening injuries. Barra Restaurant posted on Facebook that they will be closed until further notice.
Impairment is not believed to be a factor in the crash, according to police.
At this time, the crash remains under investigation.
Due to the crash, the annual Amherst Memorial Day parade was re-routed to the following:
- Start at High School on Washington St. southbound to Forest St.
- Right turn westbound to Park Ave.
- Left turn southbound on Church St.
- Left turn eastbound on Tenney Ave.
- Parade will conclude in green space at the northeast corner of Church St. and Tenney Ave. All ball teams participating in the parade will conclude and exit the parade east on Tenney Ave.
The following parking areas were also be impacted:
- Parking will be permitted on Park Ave. west of Church St.
- Parking will be restricted in City Lots between Park Ave. and Tenney Ave.