LORAIN, Ohio — Officials confirm to 3News that a 14-year-old boy and a 20-year-old man have both died in a drowning incident that happened at Lakeview Beach in Lorain on Tuesday night.
The Lorain County Metro Parks’ (LCMP) Rangers were called to the scene around 6:15 p.m. amid initial reports the teen had entered the water and didn't resurface. Authorities say the 20-year-old man also went under while attempting to help the teen and didn't resurface.
"What I see and you see on the news constantly is one person goes down, somebody tries to help out and becomes a victim themselves," said Lt. Ben Weber of the Lorain Fire Department.
The teen was recovered around 9:30 p.m. by the Lorain dive team and rushed via ambulance to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The man's body was found at 9:50 a.m. Wednesday.
The Lorain County Coroner has since identified the victims as 14-year-old Isaiah Barnes and 20-year-old Jesus Delvalle-Rodriguez. Both deaths have officially been ruled drownings.
Although Lakeview Park and the beach have both reopened, officials say the swimming area has not yet opened for the season. No lifeguards were on duty at the time of the incident. Officials also note that the beach is currently posted as "NO SWIMMING."
"Unfortunately, we are in a position, like multiple facilities, where we have no lifeguards established for this summer," said Jim Ziemnik, Lorain County Metro Parks director. "We can't find them."
Editor's note: Initial reports said the teen was 15 and the man was 21. This story has been updated to reflect the new ages as reported by authorities Wednesday.
SUBSCRIBE: Get the day's top headlines sent to your inbox each weekday morning with the free 3News to GO! newsletter
- Cleveland injury attorney, advocate Jeff Friedman dies at 74
- Judge Sergio DiGeronimo's Memorial Day speech includes common attacks on critical race theory, Black Lives Matter, gender issues
- 23rd woman files civil lawsuit accusing Cleveland Browns QB Deshaun Watson of sexual misconduct
- 6 indicted in torturing and killing of 21-year-old Alishah Pointer
- Ohio State Highway Patrol reports 17 deaths on roadways during Memorial Day weekend
- Ohio to announce universal start date for sports betting: What to expect
- 87-year-old woman killed in Cleveland shooting
- Midview intermediate student apprehended after making school shooting threat