CONGRESS, Ohio — Two people are dead following a crash early Sunday morning in Wayne County.
The Ohio State Highway Patrol says a semi-truck originally pulled over on Interstate 71 north in Congress after hitting a deer around 12:30 a.m. Moments later, a box truck being driven by a 28-year-old Trumbull County man drove onto the right berm and slammed into the semi.
The box truck driver was taken to Cleveland Clinic Akron General Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, but his two passengers -- 21-year-old Christopher Ryan Fox of Youngstown and 30-year-old Nicholas Paul Holmes of Girard -- died from their injuries at the scene. The driver of the semi, a 26-year-old man from Queens, New York City, was not hurt and remained at the scene.
It is unknown what other factors may have played a role in the crash, but no charges have been filed at this time. The incident remains under investigation.
- 12-year-old girl goes missing in Cleveland
- Janece Jackson, daughter of Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson and mother of Frank Q. Jackson, has died; cause of death currently unknown
- Disruptions to schooling fall hardest on vulnerable students
- Busy Saturday at Cedar Point, park tweets warning of 'limited capacity' in parking lot as crowds arrive for HalloWeekends
- Police: Ohio man arrested after 107 marijuana plants found in home
- A little-used resource for homeowners with storm damage
- Ohio printed 35,000 incorrect license plates before error was noticed