Breaking News
More () »

Northeast Ohioans can still get assistance with rent, utilities, and mortgage. What you need to know

We've put together a list of agencies offering assistance in Northeast Ohio.

CLEVELAND — With the federal moratorium on eviction scheduled to end this fall, many entities in Northeast Ohio are still offering assistance with rent, mortgage or utilities, depending on the program.

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention eviction moratorium that was scheduled to expire on June 30 has been extended through October 3. The moratorium is being reviewed in federal court this week.

While more households are getting help, in many states and localities, funds are still not flowing fast enough to renters and landlords.,” the U.S. Department of the Treasury said last week in a news releaseAssistance distribution has grown, but there is still much more work to do to help keep people in their homes. 

The U.S. Department of the Treasury has a list of rental assistance for each state and county here.

Back in May, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine gave the green light for $465 million in funding for residents who are unable to pay their rent because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

"Low income households and those who have experienced a substantial loss of income to the pandemic can contact now their local community action agencies," DeWine said at the time.

The money from HB 167 can be used for "electricity, gas, trash, water, home energy and internet services in certain circumstances."

Eligibility is based on the size of your house and how much money you make, but if you've been struggling (a reality for far too many Northeast Ohioans) and are already on the edge of being evicted, the governor says this money is intended for people just like you.

So where can you turn for help? We've put together a list of agencies offering assistance in Northeast Ohio. 

Cleveland/Cuyahoga County 

CHN Housing Partners

You'll find many helpful resources on CHN's site, including:

  • Avoiding Foreclosure or Eviction
  • Financial and Homeownership Classes
  • Help with Utility Payments
  • Help with Rent
  • Home Energy Efficiency Services

Call 1-833-377-RENT (7368) or apply online at www.neorenthelp.org.

3News partnered with CHN Housing in our "Keep the Lights On" program earlier this year, raising $68,000 to help more than 100 low-income residents maintain heat and electricity.

“What we were able to do was help serve some of the families like the single mom who worked at a restaurant, or a dad with 3 or 4 kids working at a hotel,” said Kevin Nowak of CHN Housing. “With those industries closed, it created this unique environment where people who are usually able to pay the bills, just weren’t able to and this helped to fill that need.”

Step Forward

Step Forward assists Cuyahoga County residents through 6 different utility assistance programs & services to help pay utility bills. Step Forward also offers education, personal and professional development programs and support services to residents of Cuyahoga County.

Ashtabula County

Ashtabula County Community Action Agency

If you need help with your rent, mortgage, or utilities, and have been unable to pay due to COVID-19 issues, you can contact the Ashtabula County Community Action Agency to see if you qualify for the CARES Home Relief '21 Assistance Program. Call 440-990-1740 for information or click here.

Geauga/Lake counties

Lifeline, Inc.

Lifeline serves as the community action agency for both Lake and Geauga counties. The organization's stated goal is to "lead the community in the fight against poverty by offering programs and opportunities to empower our residents to achieve self-sufficiency."

Here are some of the services Lifeline provides for residents in Lake County:

Geauga County Lifeline services include:

  • Emergency Housing Assistance
  • Employment Training
  • JumpStart (financial assistance for car repairs)

Lorain County

Lorain County Community Action Agency

LCCAA provides several important services to Lorain County residents in need:

  • Energy Services
  • Head Start
  • Mortgage Assistance
  • Rent Assistance
  • Water Assistance

Medina/Wayne counties

Community Action Wayne/Medina offers the following to residents:

  • Economic Assistance
  • HEAP Energy Assistance/PIPP
  • Housing Assistance Program

The United Way of Summit/Medina has put out a resource guide with helpful information and links if you are having problems paying your mortgage, rent, utilities, and more. 

Portage County

Community Action Council of Portage County

Households who are at or below 80% of the Portage County median income and have been affected by COVID-19 may be eligible for the following bill payment assistance from Ohio's Home Relief Grant:

  • Bulk Fuels
  • Electric
  • Gas
  • Mortgage
  • Rent
  • Trash
  • Water/Sewer

Email cares@cacportage.net for more information

The Community Action Council of Portage County also offers other utility assistance programs as well as home repair & weatherization programs for both Portage and Trumbull counties.  

Stark County

Stark County Community Action Agency

Stark County residents financially impacted due to the COVID-19 pandemic may be eligible for assistance through funds made available by the CDBG-CV Home Relief Grant 2.0 or the Consolidated Appropriations Act – Home Relief Grant 3.0 to support Rent, Mortgage and Utility assistance.  

Payments can only be made for 3 consecutive months. Eligible households may apply to receive assistance through December 31, 2021 or until funding is exhausted. Click here to apply. 

Summit County/Akron

Summit County Cares

Through Summit County Cares, you may apply for assistance with past due balances for the following household expenses:

  • Rent or mortgage for your primary residence
  • Electric, gas, and/or water/sewer

You must be a resident of Summit County; be a member of a household that has been financially impacted by COVID-19; and your gross income is at or below 80% of the Area Median Income Guidelines. Click here to apply.

The United Way of Summit/Medina has put out a resource guide with helpful information and links if you are having problems paying your mortgage, rent, utilities, and more.

Akron Cares

Emergency funding is available to eligible City of Akron residents who are having difficulty paying their Akron Utility Bill and are delinquent. Akron Cares will offer a one-time credit of up to $500.00 towards an eligible delinquent City of Akron utility bill. For questions, please contact Akron Public Utility Customer Service at (330) 375-2554 or 3-1-1. 

Community Action Akron Summit

Offers assistance for low-income households that are threatened with the loss of basic utilities. Call 330-436-0261 to schedule an appointment.

More Coverage:

Before You Leave, Check This Out