OHIO, USA — The Ohio Turnpike is putting a limited travel ban into effect on Sunday due to the weather.
The Ohio Turnpike says expected high winds will force the travel ban from Exit 25 (Archbold-Fayette/SR 66) west of Toledo to Exit 187 (Streetsboro/I-480 & SR14) southeast of Cleveland.
The travel ban will happen from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. but may be shortened or extended based on conditions.
Although the Turnpike will remain open to most traffic, certain vehicles will be restricted.
- Triple-trailer combination commercial vehicles
- Box-type double-trailer combination commercial vehicles in excess of ninety (90) feet in length
- Mobile home/Office trailers
- Boat and horse trailers towed by passenger vehicles or pickup trucks
- High-profile campers and enclosed trailers, which are defined as trailers designed for a person of average height to stand in.
Vehicles not affected by the travel ban include:
- Passenger automobiles
- Self-propelled motor homes, low-profile trailers, fold-down camper trailers, pick-up trucks with slide-on camper units, vehicles towing fifth-wheel type trailers, or any other type of trailers towed by passenger vehicles or pickup trucks.
- Commercial trucks towing single flatbed or box-type trailers, flatbed double-trailer combinations in excess of ninety (90) feet and any double-trailer combination commercial vehicles less than ninety (90) feet.
First Alert Meteorologist John Burchfield says wind gusts could reach as high as 55 mph throughout the day.