COLUMBUS, Ohio — As President Trump announced "he's forced to seek another state" for the upcoming 2020 Republican National Convention, could Ohio possibly be ready to host the event again?
Gov. Mike DeWine was asked that question during an interview on Fox News early Wednesday morning. DeWine said hosting an event of the RNC's magnitude "would not be something that we think that we would volunteer to do."
Here is statement to Fox News in full:
“I don’t know. These mass gatherings are kind of the last things to come together. A mass gathering inside is frankly the thing that would scare us the most, simply about the spread of this virus. The virus is still very, very much here. I don’t where we will be several months from now, but this would not be something that we think that we would volunteer to do. Mass gatherings are just a real problem, particularly those that are inside. The virus is still here. We have flattened the curve. Our hospital admissions is something we look at every single day. These numbers are fairly flat, but they’re not going down. We’ve reached a plateau. We’re opening up Ohio. We’re basically all open because we think we can do two things at once. We can protect community, but also at the same time we have to move forward economically.”
You can watch his entire interview HERE. His comments about the RNC come around the 2:38 mark.
DeWine made similar comments last week during his Thursday press conference saying Ohio is not yet prepared for large mass gatherings.
President Trump tweeted Tuesday night that he was looking for a new host city after North Carolina's Gov. said he couldn't guarantee a full capacity convention due to ongoing coronavirus concerns.
Ohio hosted the 2016 RNC in Cleveland.