A 57-year-old man died in the early hours of Thursday morning after his house in Streetsboro caught fire.
RELATED: More local coverage from WKYC
According to the Streetsboro Fire Department, police officers doing a routine overnight patrol noticed the house in the 1000 block of Gaynelle Avenue on fire around 1:45 a.m. on Thursday. Upon arrival, crews from Streetsboro, Kent, Mantua-Shalersville, Twinsburg and Reminderville found heavy fire conditions in the rear of the home, with the fire extending throughout the entire structure.
After the bulk of the fire was knocked down, crews performed a search of the house, seeking a missing occupant. While no one was located during the initial search, the deceased male was later found in a large area of debris in the collapsed section of the house.
The 57-year-old man was the lone resident of the house. The identity of the man will not be made public until the next of kin has been notified.
The house is considered to be at a total loss.
An investigator from the Streetsboro Fire Investigators with assistance from the Ohio State Fire Marshal's Office concluded that the exact cause of the fire will remain undetermined due to the extensive damage of the house. Based on all of the evidence gathered, the fire is believed to have been accidental in nature.
The investigation will remain "open" in status until a final report has been received by the coroner's office.
More local coverage:
- City of Cleveland, Cleveland Clinic to provide $67 million in funds for Lead Safe Cleveland Coalition
- 3News Investigates: Woman makes 'sad and disturbing' discovery of dozens of remains at abandoned Akron church
- Summit County Public Health to close COVID-19 drive-thru testing site due to decrease in demand
- How much do you have to spend in order to win the Powerball lottery, and can playing Powerball be an effective strategy to pay off student loans?
- Ohio health officials address COVID surge in press conference
- President Biden sending medical teams to help Cleveland Clinic battle COVID surge