STREETSBORO, Ohio — The Streetsboro Fire Department is investigating a fire that took place at the Happy Moose Restaurant on Friday morning.
Fire officials were dispatched the restaurant, located at 9436 State Route 14, just before 10:30 a.m. for a commercial fire alarm. Shortly after, the Happy Moose owner reported a smell of "something burning" and a fire sprinkler being activated, however no flames could be seen.
At the scene, fire officials found heavy smoke in the kitchen and multiple sprinklers being activated. Using a thermal imaging camera, crews focused their attention to an area behind the grill. A fire was discovered behind the wall with charring up to the ceiling and intent to spread.
The fire was contained to the immediate area, with the rest of the restaurant seeing heavy smoke and water damage. Total damages are estimated in excess of $250,000.
Happy Moose was not open at the time of the incident and the owner and all other employees evacuated the building prior to the department's arrival.
The fire appears to be accidental in nature and remains under investigation at this time.
* Editor's Note: The video in the player above is from a previous, unrelated report.