RANDOLPH, Ohio — A man was taken into custody following a shooting that happened near the Portage County Fairgrounds on Tuesday afternoon.
The Portage County Sheriff's Office (PCSO) says a man was shot in the shoulder and was found in a ditch on Fairground Road at approximately 4:30 p.m.. The victim sustained non-life-threatening injuries.
Later that day, deputies located the suspect, a 36-year-old male who resided at an address where the victim was located. Authorities were advised that the suspect had concealed booby traps throughout his property ranging from 12-foot holes to explosives. The Portage County Sheriff's Office SWAT Team and the Alliance SRT team were requested to assist deputies. The Ohio State Highway Patrol SRT Team also provided air support and a robot.
As the PCSO SWAT and Alliance SRT teams searched the property, the Ohio State Highway Patrol air support observed the suspect through thermal imaging in a wooded area behind the property. This suspect was seen several times by air support crawling and running through the property as SWAT and SRT teams became closer.
A short time later the suspect was located in a tree with the use of night vision. The suspect was taken into custody without incident by team members at around 10 p.m., according to Portage County Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Ralph Spidalieri. He was then transported to the Portage County Jail. The suspect's identity has not been made public as of yet.
- Akron unveils new outdoor dance floor at Lock 4 downtown: Bluetooth connectivity allows you to pick the music
- Male found dead at Cleveland substation in power lines
- Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine funds more anti-abortion resources, some for adolescent pregnancy
- South Euclid police identifies suspect wanted for striking a patrol car, prompting officer to fire
- Ohio Violent Crime Reduction Grant Program: $100 million in funding available to law enforcement agencies statewide
- 37 missing children, 84 child victims found in FBI sex trafficking operation
- Surviving victim-led organization seeks to help victims of mass shootings and their families
- 2 Akron firefighters hurt in house explosion
Editor's note: Video in the player above was originally published in an unrelated story on Aug. 15, 2022.