STARK COUNTY, Ohio — The Ohio State Highway Patrol is investigating a traffic crash that took place in Stark County late Saturday afternoon.
According to a release, the crash happened at the intersection of State Route 43 and Waynesburg Drive in Sandy Township just after 5:30 p.m.
Troopers say 32-year-old Ryan Hawkins of Lakewood was headling south on SR 43 in his Subaru Outback and was struck by a Toyota Highlander driven by 34-year-old Alexandria Smith of Magnolia. Smith was going west on Waynesburg Drive, but failed to yield at a stop sign and crashed into Hawkins' car. His Outback when off the right side of the road and struck a guardrail.
Hawkins was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash. He was first taken by EMS to Mercy Medical Center with life-threatening injuries, before later being transported to Akron City Hospital where he remained in critical condition.
Smith was treated on scene by EMS and released with possible minor injuries.
The crash remains under investigation
- Grand jury files no charges in case of Desmond Franklin, who was shot and killed by off-duty Cleveland officer
- Missing Portage County infant found safe in Detroit
- FBI searching for Smithville man wanted in child pornography case
- Akron police officer dies after 'lengthy battle' with COVID-19
- 3News Investigates' exclusive series 'A Tale of Two Cities': Akron mothers get CCW permits to combat rising crime
- 21-year-old arrested in connection to Paris Township shooting
- 17 people arrested by Summit County Sheriff's Office for sexual solicitation, other crimes
Editor's Note: The below story aired on February 11, 2021