BARBERTON, Ohio — The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) is investigating a fatal officer-involved shooting in Barberton, the Ohio Attorney General's Office confirmed to 3News.
Barberton police later released more information, saying the incident was connected to an attempted robbery outside the YMCA on West Hopocan Avenue. A woman claimed a man was following her and threatening her for her keys and other items before she got into the building and called 911.
Once authorities arrive, the suspect apparently ran away before being located in a parking lot and brandishing a knife. After being given "several verbal commands" to drop the weapon, the suspect allegedly refused and charged at the officers before being shot in his stomach and handcuffed on the ground, all while still apparently not letting go of the knife.
After officers administered first aid, the man was transported to an area hospital, where he died from his injuries. He has since been identified as 34-year-old Zachary D. Zoran, of Akron.
According to police, Zoran had a felony arrest warrant out of Cuyahoga Falls for aggravated menacing after he allegedly threatened to harm a family member on Christmas Day. Officials also claim he had made several threats on social media in the last 24 hours against family members and authorities, including also bragging about having weapons such as guns and knives. He has prior convictions for domestic violence, carrying concealed weapons, endangering children, and drug trafficking.
The two officers involved in Zoran's death have been placed on administrative leave, per department protocol. No members of the force were injured in the incident.
This matter is being investigated by the Barberton Police Department's detective bureau as well as BCI and the Summit County Medical Examiner.
More local coverage from WKYC:
- Viral TikTok video started with Moreland Hills mom and daughter
- FORECAST | Temperatures Continue to Climb
- Power outages in Northeast Ohio amid winter storm: See the outage numbers in your county
- Live weather and traffic updates: Winter storm hits Northeast Ohio
- What are the winning Powerball lottery numbers for December 24, 2022? See all the prizes hit in Ohio
- Frozen out: Cleveland Browns officially eliminated from playoff contention with 17-10 loss to New Orleans Saints
- Level 3 snow emergency activated in several counties: Roads closed to all non-emergency vehicles
- Snow parking bans issued in Northeast Ohio amid winter storm: See the list
- How to keep yourself safe in frigid temperatures
- WNBA player Naz Hillmon surprises St. Martin de Porres High School's girls basketball team with new shoes
- Wind gusts top 70 mph in Fairport Harbor during winter storm
- 56-year-old inmate dies at Cuyahoga County Jail; 2 MetroHealth employees terminated
- Flight tracker: Multiple flights canceled at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport amid winter storm
- 'Just a wild story': Message in a bottle finds unbelievable way home to Parma family