CLEVELAND — With the event just weeks away, the Greater Cleveland Sports Commission has announced its nominees for the 2023 Greater Cleveland Sports Awards, which will be held at Cleveland's Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse on Wednesday, Jan. 25.
The nominees for this year's event, which will be hosted by Cleveland Browns legend Joe Thomas, are as follows:
Male High School Athlete of the Year presented by University Hospitals Drusinsky Sports Medicine Institute
- Dylan Fishback, Aurora High School, Wrestling
- Sencire Harris, St. Vincent - St. Mary High School, Basketball
- Tyler Lencewicz, Shaker Heights High School, Hockey
Female High School Athlete of the Year presented by University Hospitals Drusinsky Sports Medicine Institute
- Katie Clute, Olmsted Falls High School, Cross Country and Track & Field
- Caroline Jurevicius, Notre Dame Cathedral Latin High School, Volleyball
- Tessa Knapp, Bay Village High School, Soccer
Male Collegiate Athlete of the Year presented by H. Jack's Plumbing & Heating Co. "The Super Plumber!"
- Sincere Carry, Kent State University, Basketball (Solon High School)
- Jacob Decatur, Baldwin Wallace University, Wrestling (Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy)
- Sam Wiglusz, Ohio University, Football (Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School)
Female Collegiate Athlete of the Year presented by H. Jack's Plumbing & Heating Co. "The Super Plumber!"
- Sophie Calabrese, University of Texas, Rowing (Shaker Heights High School)
- Case Western Reserve University Women's Soccer Team
- Olivia Nagy, John Carroll University, Basketball (Lakewood High School)
Professional Athlete of the Year
- Jarrett Allen, Cleveland Cavaliers, Center
- Nick Chubb, Cleveland Browns, Running Back
- José Ramírez, Cleveland Guardians, Third Baseman
Additionally, the following award winners will also be celebrated at the show:
Cleveland Clinic Sports Medicine Courage Award – Maya Austerman, Avon Lake High School, Basketball
Sports Development Award – to be announced
5-Star Senior Athlete Award presented by Medical Mutual – to be announced
Lifetime Achievement Award presented by Union Home Mortgage – Ted Ginn Sr., Legendary High School Coach
Best Moment in Cleveland Sports presented by JACK Entertainment - to be announced
The winners of this year's awards will be announced at the show on Jan. 25, which serves as "the premier annual sports fundraiser supporting Greater Cleveland Sports Commission and celebrates a year of athletic achievements in Northeast Ohio from high school stars to professional athletes." Tables and tickets for this year's Sports Awards are still available for purchase at clevelandsportsawards.com.