CLEVELAND — Three more weeks. That's the only thing separating us from the OHSAA state football championship games in Canton.
The regional finals are set to begin this Friday, and 15 high schools from WKYC Studios' 17-county viewing area remain alive on the road to a title. Despite this year's playoff expansion, there haven't been many big Cinderella runs to discuss, as the only teams left throughout the entire state are seeded eighth or higher in their respective brackets.
Of those still standing, some have tasted the glory of being No. 1 before, while others are looking to climb to the top of the mountain for the first time. Lets take a look at this weekend's local matchups, with all Northeast Ohio schools listed in bold.
(NOTE: Divisions I-III will play Friday night at the neutral sites noted below, while V-VII will play Saturday. There are no local teams left in Division IV)
- (2) Medina (13-0) vs. (1) St. Edward (11-1) - Byers Field, Parma
- (5) Walsh Jesuit (11-2) vs. (3) Archbishop Hoban (10-3) - Tiger Stadium, Twinsburg
- (4) Toledo Central Catholic (11-2) vs. (2) Avon (11-2) - Strobel Field, Sandusky
- (7) Green (10-3) vs. (4) Massillon Washington (11-2) - Arlin Field, Mansfield
- (2) Dover (12-0) vs. (1) Chardon (13-0) - Portage Community Bank Stadium, Ravenna
- (8) Holy Name (7-5) vs. (2) West Holmes (13-0) - Jim Schalmo Field, Canal Fulton
- (2) South Range (13-0) vs. (1) Kirtland (12-0) - Bo Rein Memorial Stadium, Niles
- (5) Ottawa-Glandorf (10-3) vs. (2) Elyria Catholic (11-2) - Bob Bishop Stadium, Clyde
- (4) Mogadore (10-3) vs. (3) Springfield (12-1) - Sebo Stadium, Salem
- (4) Dalton (11-2) vs. (3) Warren John F. Kennedy (9-2) - Marlington Stadium, Alliance