CLEVELAND — Editor's note: Video in the player above was published in a previous Cleveland Guardians story on March 17, 2022.
The Cleveland Guardians are pulling out some big star power for the home opener on April 15 as actor Tom Hanks will throw out the ceremonial first pitch at the game.
The Guardians made the announcement Friday morning.
“I’ve had Guardians fever since 1977 when I caught my first game in Section 19 of Cleveland’s Lakefront Municipal Stadium,” Hanks said. “I’m honored to return to Cleveland and Progressive Field for the first home game of the Cleveland Guardians era.”
Hanks, who started his acting career with the Great Lakes Theater Festival in Cleveland, also voiced the team’s name change announcement video back on July 23, 2021.
Tickets for the home opener are still available. The game is set for 7:10 p.m. against the San Francisco Giants.
MORE CLEVELAND GUARDIANS COVERAGE:
- RELATED: Listen to the new Cleveland Guardians team song: ‘We Are Cleveland’
- RELATED: Shane Bieber named Cleveland Guardians' Opening Day starter for 3rd straight year
- RELATED: New name, but Cleveland Guardians have same on-field look in 2022
- RELATED: Guardians owner Paul Dolan hopes CC Sabathia enters Hall of Fame as a Cleveland Indian
- RELATED: Sights and Sounds | Backstage interviews at the 2022 Greater Cleveland Sports Awards
Editor's note: Video in the player above was originally published in a previous Guardians story on July 24, 2021.