CLEVELAND — (AP) Aaron Civale allowed just three hits while dominating Detroit over 7 2/3 innings and was backed by five home runs, including Jordan Luplow's three-run shot, as the Cleveland Indians pounded the Tigers 11-3.
Luplow added a two-run double and finished with a career-high five RBIs. Franmil Reyes hit his third homer in two days, Roberto Pérez and Andrés Giménez each added two-run homers and César Hernández hit a solo shot for Cleveland (4-3). Luplow's homer in the fourth off Tigers starter Tarik Skubal put the Tribe ahead 6-0.
Robbie Grossman and Jeimer Candelario homered for the Tigers (3-5), but only after the game was well out of reach. Detroit managed just five hits on the evening, three of them by Grossman.
Cleveland and Detroit will wrap up their three-game series Sunday afternoon. Logan Allen (0-1, 3.60 ERA) will get the start for the Indians against the Tigers' Jose Urena (0-1, 15.00)
More Indians headlines:
- Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine says new health order could allow for more fans at outdoor sporting events
- Half of Indians' Tier 1 members received COVID-19 vaccine on Tuesday
- Indians announce initiative to support youth baseball and softball in Greater Cleveland
- Indians name change: Protesters gather outside Progressive Field prior to Home Opener
- Indians owner Paul Dolan: Team 'well into the process' of changing name
- Watch: Black Keys drummer Patrick Carney fills in for John Adams at Indians' home opener
- Indians fans will still be able to wear Chief Wahoo gear to games, despite new ban on headdresses and face paint