CLEVELAND — Hours after announcing that they will change their name to the "Cleveland Guardians" following the 2021 MLB season, officials from the Cleveland Indians met with the media to discuss the franchise's new name.
"We are excited to usher in the next era of professional baseball in Cleveland as the Cleveland Guardians," team owner Paul Dolan said at the start of his remarks. "Indians will always be a part of our history, just as Cleveland has always been the most important part of our identity."
Dolan said in looking for a new nickname, the franchise sought a brand that "strongly reflects the pride, resiliency and loyalty of Clevelanders. Guardians embodies those defining attributes, while drawing upon the iconic 'Guardians of Traffic' proudly standing outside of Progressive Field on the Hope Memorial Bridge."
Brian Barren, who serves as the team's president of business operations, explained how the franchise will continue to utilize the same red, white, and blue colors. The new "Guardians" script will be on the home white and red uniforms, while the modified block "Cleveland" will be on the team's road gray and blue jerseys.
Tribe manager Terry Francona also spoke at the announcement. "I don't know if anybody could have more of a tie to the Cleveland baseball organization than myself," he said with emotion, recalling his father's playing career as well as his time as a player, special assistant, and manager. "I am so proud to stand here. We're trying to be the best Cleveland organization we can be and be united for everybody and represent the city of Cleveland like it deserves."
You can watch the entire announcement in the player below:
More Cleveland Guardians' coverage:
- See what the Cleveland Guardians' uniforms will look like
- Slider is staying as mascot as Cleveland Indians change name to Cleveland Guardians
- Before becoming the 'Guardians,' how did Cleveland's baseball team end up with the name 'Indians'? It's more complicated than you think
- Indians vs. Guardians: Cleveland fans note similarities of new name and logos
- ‘Momentous occasion’: Cleveland Indigenous Coalition reacts as Indians announce name change to Guardians
- Cleveland Indians announce 'Guardians' as new name
- Greater Cleveland Sports Commission CEO David Gilbert reacts to Guardians name