CLEVELAND — The Greater Cleveland Sports Commission will honor the Dolan family with its Lifetime Achievement Award presented by Cuyahoga Community College during the 20th Greater Cleveland Sports Awards presented by Medical Mutual and Huntington Bank on Jan. 22.
The Dolan family has served as the principal owner of the Cleveland Indians since 2000, when Larry Dolan purchased the franchise from Dick Jacobs. In the time since, the Dolan family has become the longest-tenured ownership group in team history with the Indians winning five American League Central Division championships (2001, 2007, 2016, 2017, 2018), the 2016 American League championship and a Wild Card appearance 2013. In addition to their success on the field, the Dolans helped launch SportTime Ohio, brought the 2019 MLB All-Star Game to Cleveland have participated in several charitable efforts over the course of the past two decades.
In 2010, Larry Dolan's son, Paul Dolan, became the franchise's primary control person with the title of "Owner/Chairman and CEO," after previously serving as the team's general counsel and president.
“On behalf of my entire family, I want to thank Greater Cleveland Sports Commission for this incredible honor and their great support through the years,” Paul Dolan said in a statement. “From the day we purchased the club we recognized the role the Cleveland Indians play in the fabric of this entire community and have enjoyed over the years being stewards of this iconic organization.”
Each year, the Greater Cleveland Sports Commission bestows its Lifetime Achievement Award upon "a person who has dedicated their lives to the advancement of sports in Cleveland." Past recipients include:
- 2002 – Jim Brown, former running back, Cleveland Browns
- 2003 – Mark H. McCormack, Founder, International Management Group (IMG)
- 2004 – Bob Feller, former pitcher, Cleveland Indians
- 2005 – Richard Jacobs, former owner, Cleveland Indians
- 2006 – Herb Score, former pitcher & announcer, Cleveland Indians
- 2007 – Joe Tait, former broadcaster, Cleveland Cavaliers
- 2008 – Chuck Kyle, Head Football Coach, St. Ignatius High School
- 2009 – Bob Kain, former CEO, IMG
- 2010 – Dr. John A. Bergfeld. M.D., Senior Orthopedic Surgeon & team physician, Cleveland Clinic
- 2011 – Reggie Rucker, former wide receiver, Cleveland Browns
- 2012 – Austin Carr, former guard & current broadcaster, Cleveland Cavaliers
- 2013 – Bernie Kosar, former quarterback, Cleveland Browns
- 2014 – Tom Hamilton, sportscaster & announcer, Cleveland Indians
- 2015 – Jim Donovan, radio & TV personality, WKYC & Cleveland Browns
- 2016 – Mike Hargrove, former first baseman & manager, Cleveland Indians
- 2017 – Zydrunas Ilgauskas, former center, Cleveland Cavaliers
- 2018 – Sandy Alomar Jr., coach and former catcher, Cleveland Indians
- 2019 – Dolan Family, owners, Cleveland Indians