THE BRONX, N.Y. — Gary Sánchez failed to catch a foul popup that led to a seven-run fifth inning capped by Andrés Giménez's three-run homer, and the Cleveland Indians routed the Yankees 11-3 on Saturday to slow New York's playoff run.
Franmil Reyes hit an RBI double off Albert Abreu in the big fifth inning and a two-run homer in the sixth against Andrew Heaney. Yu Change and José Ramírez also homered for the Tribe (72-74), while Aaron Civale went six shutout innings to earn his first win since going on the injured list in June (11-4).
New York (83-66) has 13 games left and began the day a half-game ahead of Toronto for the second AL wild card. The Yankees dropped 1 1/2 games behind wild card-leading Boston.
The Indians will have one more game in the Bronx Sunday afternoon. Rookie Eli Morgan (2-7, 6.03 ERA) will start against Yanks ace Gerrit Cole (15-7, 2.75).
More sports headlines:
- Browns safety Ronnie Harrison fined for sideline skirmish vs Kansas City Chiefs
- Report: Terry Francona expected to return as Guardians manager in 2022
- Ben Barnes' 3 TDs lead Buckeye to thrilling 22-18 win over Valley Forge in WKYC.com High School Football Game of the Week
- Browns launch facial recognition ticket entry: Here’s how it works
- Browns LB Anthony Walker Jr. out at least 3 games with hamstring injury
- Carli Lloyd's retirement tour begins with 5 goals in US rout of Paraguay in Cleveland
- FirstEnergy Stadium welcomes Sauce The City to food lineup