CLEVELAND — Franmil Reyes hit a towering three-run homer and tied his career high with five RBIs, powering the Cleveland Indians to a 9-1 rout of the Los Angeles Angels.
Reyes' 430-foot blast to center opened the scoring in the first for the Indians (59-61), and, his two-run single in the sixth extended the Tribe's lead to 8-1. José Ramírez added a solo homer in the eighth for his team-high 28th of the year.
David Fletcher singled in Kurt Suzuki in the third for the Angels, and All-Star Shohei Ohtani went 1 for 4. Los Angeles fell to .500 (62-62) and is eight games out of the final AL wild-card position.
The two teams will be back at it Saturday afternoon, with Triston McKenzie (2-5, 5.12 ERA) making his first start for the Tribe since nearly throwing a perfect game last Sunday in Detroit. Reid Detmers (1-2, 7.04) will go for the Halos.
More Indians headlines:
- Indians dedicate Luke Easter Park field to CC Sabathia; announce partnership with Get In The Game
- Cleveland businesses overcoming shortages to cash in on big sports weekend
- Cleveland Guardians announce 2022 Spring Training Schedule
- Indians hosting annual Giveathon Friday; will air live on WKYC
- Nike unveils Indians' Little League Classic jersey
- Indians P Triston McKenzie jokes about near-perfect game
- PETA petitions Indians to include a veggie dog mascot in Hot Dog Derby
- Ohio lawmakers call for schools to get rid of Native American mascots
- Statue of Indians great Rocky Colavito unveiled in Cleveland's Little Italy
- Cleveland, Cuyahoga County still waiting on final details of $435 million Progressive Field deal