CLEVELAND — EDITOR'S NOTE: The video in the player above is from a previous story
Chicago starter Dylan Cease left after being struck on the right arm by a comebacker in the sixth inning as the White Sox beat Cleveland 1-0 in Indians ace Shane Bieber's return.
The White Sox (said Cease has a right triceps contusion and that X-rays were negative.
Bieber retired all nine hitters he faced in his first start for the Indians since June 13. The reigning AL Cy Young Award winner missed over three months because of a strained right shoulder.
Luis Robert hit a leadoff home run in the fifth for the White Sox (87-67), who clinched the AL Central on Thursday despite dealing with key injuries to several players. Trevor Stephan took the loss for the Tribe (75-78), which also went a measly 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position.
With just nine game left, the Indians must go 6-3 during that stretch to avoid their first losing season in nine years. Rookie Eli Morgan (3-7, 5.68 ERA) will get the start Saturday night against Chicago All-Star Lance Lynn (10-5, 2.47).
More Indians headlines:
- End of an era: Cleveland Indians playing final homestand before retiring name
- Details of $435 million Progressive Field deal released
- Former president Donald Trump on Matt Dolan's candidacy for U.S. Senate from Ohio: 'One person in the race I won't be endorsing'
- Indians star José Ramírez named American League Player of the Week
- Indians call up former MLB outfielder, now pitcher Anthony Gose
- Report: Terry Francona expected to return as Cleveland Guardians manager in 2022