CLEVELAND — It didn't have the ending Cavaliers fans had hoped for, but the 2022-23 season still saw some incredible achievements, including a prestigious accolade for the team's newest star.
Following his first year with Cleveland, guard Donovan Mitchell was named an All-NBA Second Team selection on Wednesday, chosen by a group of sportswriters and broadcasters. The 26-year-old is just the fifth player in franchise history to earn all-league honors, and this is also the first time in his career he has obtained the recognition.
RELATED: More Cavs coverage from WKYC
Acquired from the Utah Jazz in a blockbuster summer trade, Mitchell quickly made his presence felt at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse, setting career-highs marks for points per game (28.3), field goal percentage (48.4%), and free throw percentage (86.7%) while also putting up 1.5 steals per game and 8.9 win shares. He was elected to start the NBA All-Star Game, and helped the Cavs to their highest win total in six years and first playoff appearance since 2018.
Unfortunately, Mitchell and his teammates struggled in the postseason as the New York Knicks eliminated Cleveland in a five-game first-round series. Following a stellar Game 1 performance, Mitchell averaged just 19.5 points over the final four contests.
Mitchell is just the third Cavalier to be awarded second-team All-NBA honors or better, joining LeBron James (eight first-team, two second-team selections) and Mark Price (1993 first team). This will also be the last year the teams have set "positions" (two forwards, two guards, one center), as they are set to go "positionless" next year.
The balloting shows Mitchell had the most first-team votes (45) of anyone who did not make the first team. Apparently, "Spida" thinks he got shafted.
Here is the full list of 2022-23 All-NBA selections:
- Forward: Giannis Antetojounmpo - Milwaukee Bucks
- Forward: Jayson Tatum - Boston Celtics
- Center: Joel Embiid - Philadelphia 76ers
- Guard: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander - Oklahoma City Thunder
- Guard: Luka Dončić - Dallas Mavericks
- Center: Nikola Jokić - Denver Nuggets
- Guard: Donovan Mitchell - Cleveland Cavaliers
- Guard: Stephen Curry - Golden State
- Forward: Jimmy Butler - Miami Heat
- Forward: Jaylen Brown - Boston Celtics
- Center: Domantas Sabonis - Sacramento Kings
- Guard: De'Aaron Fox - Sacramento Kings
- Guard: Damian Lillard - Portland Trail Blazers
- Forward: Julius Randle - New York Knicks
- Forward: LeBron James - Los Angeles Lakers