CANTON, Ohio — Bryce Butler scored 22 points and Malone overcame a late deficit to beat Lake Erie 71-66 Wednesday night.
The Pioneers (13-4, 8-2 G-MAC) led by as many as 12 in the game, only to fall behind by three with less than five minutes to play. On the next possession, Butler hit a 3 to tie it before assisting on another long-range shot by Justin Miller, and the squad from Canton never trailed again despite the Storm continuing to hang around.
Padua Franciscan grad Kevin Peterson led Lake Erie (8-6, 2-5) with 20 points, hitting four of seven 3-point attempts. Despite a solid night shooting, the Storm were out-rebounded 40-27 (15-5 offensively), and the Pioneers hit six straight free throws down the stretch.
Now along atop the Great Midwest Athletic Conference, Malone will have more than a week off before heading to Kentucky Wesleyan on Jan. 27. Lake Erie will be at Walsh this Saturday afternoon.
More sports headlines:
- Malone women's basketball beats struggling Lake Erie 70-55
- Cavaliers lose to Chicago Bulls 117-104, ending 5-game winning streak
- NBC Olympics announcers staying stateside for Beijing
- Baldwin Wallace men's basketball crushes John Carroll 101-64
- Walsh women's basketball dominates Ursuline 77-48
- Watch: Kyrie Irving fires back at heckling Cavs fan: 'I got y'all a championship'