CLEVELAND — *EDITOR'S NOTE: The above video is from last spring.
Trey Townsend had 20 points as Oakland edged past Cleveland State 70-65 in a game between the two top teams in the Horizon League Thursday night.
Jalen Moore had 14 points, eight assists and six rebounds for Oakland (12-4, 6-0 Horizon League), which earned its fifth consecutive win. Blake Lampman added 12 points and Micah Parrish had 11 points. Jamal Cain, who led the Golden Grizzlies in scoring heading into the contest with 21.0 points per game, shot only 14 percent for the game (1 of 7).
D'Moi Hodge had 20 points for the Vikings (10-4, 6-1), whose four-game win streak ended. Torrey Patton added 16 points, 11 rebounds and seven assists, but CSU was done in by a poor night shooting from 3-point range (19%) and the free throw line (33%).
With the victory, Oakland takes over sole possession of first place in the conference. Defending champion Cleveland State slips to second, and will next host fourth-place Detroit Mercy Saturday afternoon at the Wolstein Center.
More sports headlines:
- Guide | Things to do during NBA All-Star Weekend in Cleveland
- US Olympic Men's Hockey Team roster announced
- Destination Cleveland, downtown business owners prepare for NBA All-Star Game
- Do Bill Belichick and Patriots have best shot at upset win on NFL Wild Card weekend?
- Cleveland Cavaliers' Machine Gun Kelly bobbleheads delayed due to supply chain issues