AKRON, Ohio — EDITOR'S NOTE: The video in the player above is from 2019
DJ Irons threw three touchdown passes and ran for another score to lead Akron to a 35-14 victory over Bryant.
With the game tied 14-14 early in the fourth quarter, Irons scrambled to his left before finding room down the right sideline for a TD to give the Zips (1-2) the lead. He added a 6-yard touchdown pass to Konata Mumpfield with 9:29 remaining.
Zevi Eckhaus completed 15 of 20 passes with a touchdown for Bryant (1-2), which played the program's first FBS opponent and first game in Ohio. However, it wasn't nearly nearly enough to match the JUCO transfer Irons, who tallied 442 yards of total offense to go with his 4 TDs.
The victory was just the second for Akron in its last 26 games dating back to 2018, and improves head coach Tom Arth's record to 2-19 since taking over the year after. Up next for the Zips? A prime-time showdown with No. 9 Ohio State next Saturday in Columbus.
More sports headlines:
- TreVeyon Henderson sets Ohio State freshman rushing record as Buckeyes defeat Tulsa 41-20
- Error leads to 7-run inning, Indians slow New York Yankees 11-3
- Mount Union beats Baldwin Wallace 31-7 in Purple Raiders' OAC opener
- Tyler Goodson runs for 153 yards, 3 TDs as No. 5 Iowa pulls away from Kent State 30-7
- Browns safety Ronnie Harrison fined for sideline skirmish vs Kansas City Chiefs
- Report: Terry Francona expected to return as Guardians manager in 2022
- Ben Barnes' 3 TDs lead Buckeye to thrilling 22-18 win over Valley Forge in WKYC.com High School Football Game of the Week