LAKE COUNTY, Ohio — *Editor's Note: The video in the player above is from a previous report.
A portion of Route 2 in Lake County is closed Thursday afternoon due to a crash near Worden Road.
The accident involves downed wires and is a safety hazard for motorists. As a result, both the east and westbound lanes of the highway have been closed.
Officials are asking that drivers seek alternative routes. The Ohio Department of Transportation took to Twitter to suggest that I-90 be used as an alternative to prevent additional traffic from being backed up.
Drivers currently on the highway are experiencing heavy delays.
A time estimate on when the road will be reopened has not yet been given.
This is a developing story. Stay with 3News for updates as they become available.
- RELATED: Cleveland Police dispatcher killed in crash
- RELATED: Cleveland Browns QB Baker Mayfield: 'I can play a whole lot better than last year'
- RELATED: Cleveland Indians trade 2B Cesar Hernandez to Chicago White Sox for minor league pitcher
- RELATED: Alaska 8.2 earthquake produces prolonged shaking, small tsunami
- RELATED: Community West announces new Northeast Ohio locations for Timothy Schmalz sculpture collection
- RELATED: Biden to allow eviction moratorium to expire Saturday
- RELATED: What Simone Biles told her all-around replacement before the final
- RELATED: The Bachelorette's Michael Allio reveals he told Katie Thurston he won't move out of Ohio
- RELATED: No, Hillary Clinton did not say election interference was planned ahead of the 2020 election
- RELATED: Diocese of Cleveland announces return of 'The Fest' at Brookside Reservation
- RELATED: AstraZeneca to seek US approval of COVID vaccine in 2nd half of year
*Editor's Note: The video in the player above is from a previous report.