CLEVELAND — I-90 East has reopened to traffic in Cleveland after a portion of the roadway was closed early Friday morning due to a deadly crash near West 44th Street.
The roadway reopened around 6:40 a.m.
Cleveland police, which provided new details shortly before noon, say the crash happened when a Dodge Challenger, driven by a 26-year-old man, went off the left side of the roadway and collided with the center wall.
After the vehicle came to rest near the West 41st Street overpass, police say the driver exited the vehicle and became a pedestrian within the lanes of traffic. That's when a Jeep Cherokee, driven by a 38-year-old man, struck both the man and Challenger, according to police.
Next, police say a Honda Accord, which was driven by a 22-year-old man, struck both vehicles before colliding with a semi. The Honda continued eastbound "coming to final rest with the pedestrian trapped underneath."
The Challenger's driver was pronounced dead at the scene. The Honda's driver was taken to the hospital with serious injuries. The other drivers were unharmed.
Editor's note: Cleveland EMS had previously told 3News the victim's age was 30.
Be sure to follow 3News' Danielle Wiggins on Twitter (@DaniWiggins6) for the latest traffic updates.
- New details released after Parma police end shelter in place advisory for residents of Pearl Road and Velma Avenue
- Video shows man's arrest after suspect allegedly drove into restricted area at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport
- Daughter of Cleveland firefighter Johnny Tetrick speaks in court during suspect’s arraignment in deadly hit-and-run incident
- Firefighters respond to library on Lorain Avenue in Cleveland after flames spark on roof
- Vermilion Fire Marshal crashes car into fire station following health incident
- Man sentenced in deadly hit-and-run that killed 3-year-old girl riding bike in Cleveland
- 'Leave now! Get away from my property!' Owner of 'A Christmas Story' House in Cleveland seen yelling at film's actor Yano Anaya amid property sale
- Cleveland firefighters battle blaze on East 57th Street: Two people jump from second-story window
Editor's note: Video in the player above was originally published in an unrelated story on Dec. 1, 2022.