CLEVELAND — The Cleveland Division of Police have provided more information about the fatal accident that closed the ramp to I-71 north from I-480 eastbound near Cleveland Hopkins International Airport on Thursday evening.
According to police, a 61-year-old man was outside of his vehicle that was parked on the right berm side of the roadway at around 9:30 p.m.. For reasons that are not clear to police, the pedestrian was in the northbound lane of the ramp.
A Chevrolet Equinox driven by a 42-year-old man was heading north on the ramp and struck the pedestrian. He was pronounced dead at the scene by Cleveland EMS.
The victim has been identified by the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner as Dale Allen Mennell of Litchfield.
The ramp reopened early Friday morning.
The incident remains under investigation by the Cleveland Division of Police.
- 3News Investigates: Only 3% of sexual assaults reported by Cedar Point workers have ended with an arrest
- US Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg visits Sandusky to highlight construction plans to improve US 6 near Cedar Point
- CDC update on E. coli outbreak: Number of cases in Ohio has risen to 23
- Ohio Department of Health launches monkeypox dashboard as Cuyahoga County cases rise
- Cuyahoga, Lorain among 10 Northeast Ohio counties at CDC's high community level for COVID-19
- Nearly 550,000 customers in Ohio are about to receive savings on their electric bill: Here's what you need to know
- Aaron Donald swings helmet in brawl between Los Angeles Rams, Cincinnati Bengals
- Answering more questions about President Joe Biden’s student loan debt forgiveness plan: 3News Now with Stephanie Haney
- Former Woodmere Mayor sentenced to 33 months in jail for stealing credit card info to buy gas for Amazon deliveries