AKRON, Ohio — There wasn’t much movement with gas prices throughout Northeast Ohio during the last week.
Although gas prices remain unchanged in Cleveland with the average listed at $3.49 per gallon, GasBuddy says Akron experienced a slight drop of three cents as the city’s average now stands at $3.45.
For context, this puts Cleveland’s prices 98.8 cents lower than this time last year.
LIST & MAP: Where to find the cheapest gas prices near you
The national average, meanwhile, rose 2.7 cents per gallon with GasBuddy saying the new average is now at $3.55.
"Gasoline prices have drifted higher in the last week due to some relatively minor refinery kinks and low gasoline supply, but it may not be a trend that lasts too much longer," said Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis at GasBuddy. "As we unofficially start the summer driving season, the national average is likely to spend much of the summer in the range of $3.35-$3.85 per gallon, though it could go higher if unexpected refinery outages flare up, or we see a major hurricane or economic development. While gasoline prices have inched up slightly, we're still faring much better than we did last year, when the national average started to soar after Memorial Day on its way up to the $5 per gallon mark. In addition, gas prices may temporarily rally if there's a debt ceiling deal that passes through Congress in the weeks ahead, based on the optimism that such a deal could avert a major recession, keeping oil demand stronger this summer."
Here are historical gasoline prices in Cleveland and the national average going back 10 years:
- May 30, 2022: $4.47/g (U.S. Average: $4.60/g)
- May 30, 2021: $2.93/g (U.S. Average: $3.04/g)
- May 30, 2020: $2.04/g (U.S. Average: $1.97/g)
- May 30, 2019: $2.59/g (U.S. Average: $2.83/g)
- May 30, 2018: $2.82/g (U.S. Average: $2.96/g)
- May 30, 2017: $2.29/g (U.S. Average: $2.37/g)
- May 30, 2016: $2.46/g (U.S. Average: $2.32/g)
- May 30, 2015: $2.66/g (U.S. Average: $2.73/g)
- May 30, 2014: $3.88/g (U.S. Average: $3.67/g)
- May 30, 2013: $3.68/g (U.S. Average: $3.61/g)