CLEVELAND — Gas prices continue their upward trend across Northeast Ohio with yet another jump within the last week.
Cleveland’s gas prices have climbed 10.1 cents per gallon, putting the city’s average at $3.57 when compared to last week. GasBuddy says that puts Cleveland’s prices 38.7 cents higher than a month ago and 44.4 cents more than a year ago.
LIST & MAP: Where to find the cheapest gas prices near you
Akron drivers are also experiencing another increase as gas prices have jumped 9.3 cents within the last week as the city’s new average now stands at $3.58 per gallon.
Nationally, GasBuddy says prices have jumped 9.7 cents per gallon with the average now listed at $3.49.
"The national average price of gasoline has risen for the fifth straight week as retailers pass along the rise in wholesale gasoline prices due to continued challenges: refinery utilization that still hasn't fully recovered from December's cold weather, and refinery maintenance season that's just around the corner," said Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis at GasBuddy. "There appears to be little good news on the gas price front, with prices unlikely to turn around any time soon. Because of the surge in prices last spring, many refineries that had planned maintenance deferred maintenance until 2023. With the can kicked to this year, we may have similar challenges producing enough refined products to meet demand, especially with the European Union cutting off refined products from Russia starting February 5."
SUBSCRIBE: Get the day's top headlines sent to your inbox each weekday morning with the free 3News to GO! newsletter
Check historical gasoline prices in Cleveland and the national average going back 10 years:
- January 30, 2022: $3.13/g (U.S. Average: $3.34/g)
- January 30, 2021: $2.28/g (U.S. Average: $2.43/g)
- January 30, 2020: $2.46/g (U.S. Average: $2.49/g)
- January 30, 2019: $2.08/g (U.S. Average: $2.27/g)
- January 30, 2018: $2.40/g (U.S. Average: $2.59/g)
- January 30, 2017: $2.07/g (U.S. Average: $2.27/g)
- January 30, 2016: $1.64/g (U.S. Average: $1.80/g)
- January 30, 2015: $2.06/g (U.S. Average: $2.04/g)
- January 30, 2014: $3.28/g (U.S. Average: $3.27/g)
- January 30, 2013: $3.48/g (U.S. Average: $3.40/g
Editor's note: Video in the player above was originally published in an unrelated story on Jan. 27, 2023.