AKRON, Ohio — After experiencing a big surge in gas prices throughout Northeast in last week’s report, drivers in Akron and Cleveland are getting some relief.
In Akron, the city’s average price for a gallon of gas now stands at $3.24 per gallon after dropping 12.3 cents within the last week, according to new data released by GasBuddy early Monday.
Cleveland’s prices have dropped 5.3 cents, bringing the city’s average to $3.34 per gallon. For context, that puts Cleveland gas prices 6.5 cents cheaper than a month ago and 73.7 cents lower than a year ago.
LIST & MAP: Find the cheapest gas prices near you
Nationally, meanwhile, the average price has climbed 8 cents per gallon to $3.44 within the last week.
"With the transition to more expensive summer gasoline underway coast to coast, wholesale gasoline prices continue to inch up at a rate typical for this time of year, reflected in the national average rising for the second straight week," said Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis at GasBuddy. "While oil prices edged slightly lower on weaker outlooks for economic growth, continued refinery maintenance and the higher cost of seasonal blends of fuel are offsetting oil's decline. The price of diesel, however, continues to slowly decline as we see consumption for diesel lighten up. The best news for both gasoline and diesel prices is how significant a drop we've seen from year-ago levels, with more disinflation to come in the weeks ahead, even as gas prices are likely to inch up."
SUBSCRIBE: Get the day's top local and national headlines sent to your email inbox each weekday morning with 3News to GO! newsletter
Here are historical gasoline prices in Cleveland and the national average going back 10 years:
- March 13, 2022: $4.07/g (U.S. Average: $4.32/g)
- March 13, 2021: $2.73/g (U.S. Average: $2.86/g)
- March 13, 2020: $2.04/g (U.S. Average: $2.25/g)
- March 13, 2019: $2.45/g (U.S. Average: $2.52/g)
- March 13, 2018: $2.37/g (U.S. Average: $2.52/g)
- March 13, 2017: $2.15/g (U.S. Average: $2.29/g)
- March 13, 2016: $1.93/g (U.S. Average: $1.93/g)
- March 13, 2015: $2.27/g (U.S. Average: $2.44/g)
- March 13, 2014: $3.64/g (U.S. Average: $3.50/g)
- March 13, 2013: $3.75/g (U.S. Average: $3.71/g)
Editor's note: Video in the player above was originally published in an unrelated story on March 5, 2023.