MENTOR, Ohio — A 42-year-old Mentor-on-the-Lake man was killed on Thursday when his pickup truck was struck by a train.
Acccording to a release from the city of Mentor, the incident happened at a railroad crossing on Hopkins Road near Jackson Street around 9:45 a.m. A 2006 Ford F-150 pickup truck was traveling southbound on Hopkins Road. As it approached the railroad crossing, the gates were down and lights were activated to indicate an approaching eastbound train.
Witnesses told police that the F-150 passed two stopped vehicles, went around the gate, and was struck by the train on the passenger side of the vehicle.
The driver of the F-150 has been identified as Jason Murphy. Murphy was ejected from his vehicle as a result of the crash and was pronounced dead at the scene. He was the only occupant in the F-150. No occupants of the train were injured.
RELATED: More traffic coverage from WKYC
According to the city of Mentor, Hopkins Road between Jackson Street and East Avenue is expected to be closed for several hours as police investigate the accident.
You can watch our streaming coverage of the accident scene in the player below:
More local coverage from WKYC:
- Where to find health care and help for veterans in Cleveland during winter months
- Lake Humane Society asking for donations to fund operation to save 6-month-old cat
- University Hospitals to give special thank you to Ohio National Guard members helping with COVID surge
- Greater Cleveland Foodbank cancels weekly food distribution ahead of 'extreme cold'
- 'I feel like it's a gift to be here': Cleveland chiropractor shares his story of beating cancer
- FORECAST | Frigid temperatures return as we stay below freezing for several days
- Day 3 of snow cleanup has many Northeast Ohioans frustrated
- Summit County making room for the homeless during freezing cold temps
- COVID in Cuyahoga County: Officials reports case numbers are dropping from early January peak
- "Every day, hour or minute is a brand new slate to start again. Just don't quit"; 3News' Monica Robins shares a post-brain surgery update
- All Aboard Cleveland is wondering… why did Cleveland’s RTA shut down the entire rapid rail system?
- Malone women's basketball beats struggling Lake Erie 70-55
- Walsh women's basketball dominates Ursuline 77-48
- Akron-Canton Airport among 50 in nation's 5G buffer zone