ERIE COUNTY, OHIO, Ohio — A passenger was killed in a single-car crash that occurred in Florence Township on Monday.
The Sandusky Highway Patrol Post is currently investigating the crash, which occurred on SR 113 just west of SR 60 in Florence Township, Erie County, at approximately 2:33 p.m.
According to a report, Steve Chaffee of Norwalk, Ohio, was driving a 1995 Ford Mustang when the car went left of center and traveled off the left side of the roadway and struck a ditch multiple times before coming to final rest. Drug use is believed to have been a determining factor in the crash and seatbelt use is currently unknown.
As a result of the crash, Chaffee sustained serious injuries and was transported to Lorain Mercy. His passenger, Thomas Zellner of Wakeman, Ohio, also sustained serious injuries and was transported to Lorain Mercy before being transported to Cleveland Metro Hospital, where he died from his injuries as a result of the crash.
Erie County Sheriff’s Office, Interstate Towing, Citizens EMS, and Florence Township Fire each assisted on the scene.
More local coverage:
- Lorain police bodycam video shows suspect stabbing K-9, then fatally shot by officer
- President Biden introduced by Sandusky native for signing of PACT Act to help veterans exposed to toxic burn pits
- Cleveland City Council passes law requiring city to release body and dash camera footage of use-of-force incidents within 7 days
- Cleveland City Council proposes 'paid safe leave' for victims of sexual assault, domestic violence
- Cleveland City Council passes 'Pay to Stay' legislation to protect renters from evictions
- Cleveland Guardians outlast Detroit Tigers 3-2 in Aaron Civale's return
Editor's note: the video in the player above is from an unrelated story.