AVON LAKE, Ohio — In preparation for more excessive heat, some Northeast Ohio school districts have already decided to close on Wednesday.
Avon Lake City Schools will close its elementary schools and Learwood Middle School on Wednesday due to excessive heat. Troy Intermediate School and Avon Lake High School will be open as scheduled.
The district says for those individuals scheduled for Pre-K or Kindergarten orientation, the following schedule will now be utilized:
- Tuesday’s orientation will now be on Thursday, August 26.
- Wednesday’s orientation will now be on Friday, August 27.
- The first full day of school for Kindergarten students will be on Monday, August 30.
- The first day of LEAPS will be on Tuesday, August 31.
Brecksville-Broadview Heights City Schools report that Chippewa Elementary School, Highland Elementary School and Hilton Elementary School will have an early release at 1 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday due to the heat.
Cleveland Metropolitan School District has decided to close Bard Early College, Ben Franklin, Charles Mooney, Collinwood, FHNT, Louis Agassiz, Mary B. Martin, Mary Bethune, New Tech West, Newton D. Baker, Stonebrook-White, Tremont and VVBLA for Wednesday, August 25.
Cuyahoga Falls City Schools will be closed on Wednesday. All after-school and extracurricular activates will be canceled as well.
Kirtland Local Schools will be closed.
Lincoln Park Academy in Cleveland will be closed due to the heat.
Mentor Public Schools will be closed due to the extreme heat, as the majority of its learning spaces do not have air conditioning. This closure includes the kindergarten readiness assessments scheduled for Wednesday. Kindergarten families will receive a separate notice with more information from the district.
Norton City Schools has announced that Norton Primary, Norton Elementary, and Norton Middle School will not be in session. Norton High School, which is air conditioned, will still be in session.
The Parma City School District will be closed for the second straight day. All district functions, including classes in Parma Virtual Learning Academy are canceled.
Ravenna School District will close West Park Elementary, West Main Elementary, Willyard Elementary, Brown Middle School due to extreme heat.
West Geauga Local Schools will be closed due to extreme heat.
For the second day in a row, Willoughby-Eastlake Schools will be closed due to the predicted high temperatures and heat index.
- FORECAST | Temps Soar This Week
- VOTE NOW: Where should we go for our WKYC.com High School Football Game of the Week?
- 22 dead, many missing after 17 inches of rain in Tennessee
- Why it takes months to subdue some wildfires
- Yes, the UN report says human-induced climate change has caused some damage that’s irreversible for centuries
- 'Code red for humanity' | UN climate change report issues dire warning
- After UN climate report, individuals seek to do their part
- California fire season sets records, more damage expected