LAKEWOOD, Ohio — While responding to a call at a home on Athens Avenue on Thursday night, officers with the Lakewood Police Department found two unexpected creatures -- a python and a reptile called a dwar caiman, which looked an awful lot like an alligator.
Capt. Gary Stone with the Lakewood Police Department says both animals are currently being held at the Lakewood Animal Shelter and will be transferred to a reptile rescue.
Police also tell 3News the dwarf caiman, which is the smallest member of the crocodilian family, measured at about two feet long.
Capt. Stone says the call was not connected to the animals.
No additional details were immediately available, but stay with 3News as we will update this story once more information is released.
- RELATED: Lake Humane Society asking for donations to fund operation to save 6-month-old cat
- RELATED: Indiana shelter receives $80K in donations thanks to #BettyWhiteChallenge
- RELATED: 'Hero' rat who detected land mines in Cambodia dies in retirement
- RELATED: Lost dog back in Michigan after being found 330 miles away in Ohio
- RELATED: 180 million-year-old sea dragon skeleton discovered in UK
- RELATED: Betty White Challenge: Rescue Village in Geauga County naming animals after Betty White
Editor's note: Video in the player above was originally published in an unrelated story on Jan. 17, 2022, which focuses on the Betty White challenge to benefit animal shelters.