PAINESVILLE, Ohio — A child is dead after being struck by a CSX train in Painesville on Wednesday night.
According to the CSX statement, the incident happened at 7:50 p.m. on the tracks near Elm Street and Railroad Street. The company says that members of the Painesville Police Department responded to the scene and reported the victim was fatally injured.
The victim was a 10-year-old Painesville boy, who is unidentified. The city stated that the child was struck by a train traveling eastbound while he was crossing the railroad tracks on a bike in the northbound direction.
EMS officials transported the victim to Tri-Point Medical Center where he died from his injuries. CSX states that there were no reported injuries to the train's crew.
"CSX extends its deepest sympathies to everyone impacted by this tragic incident, and we will work on scene to support local law enforcement as they investigate," the statement added.
At this time, the Lake Regional Traffic Crash Reconstruction Unit is assisting with an ongoing investigation.
A GoFundMe page has been set up to raise money for the victim's family. Donations can be made HERE.
- 3News Investigates: State reports reveal dozens of Northeast Ohio school buses aren't passing inspections
- Bond set for former East Cleveland police officers indicted on corruption charges
- 3News Investigates: Cleveland Browns star Myles Garrett stopped 6 times for speeding prior to crash
- 31-year-old woman fatally shot in North Randall
- 'Major air service announcement' revealed: Aer Lingus to offer nonstop flights from Cleveland Hopkins International Airport to Dublin, Ireland
- Sentencing phase begins for man who killed 4 in Cleveland, including 2 children
- Tamara McLoyd sentenced to life in prison for murder of Cleveland police officer Shane Bartek, with possibility of parole