CHICAGO — Bobby Bradley and Josh Naylor homered, helping the Cleveland Indians overcome the loss of pitcher Aaron Civale during a 4-0 victory over the Chicago Cubs.
Civale, who leads the majors with 10 wins, exited with two out in the fifth inning because of a right middle finger injury. The extent of the situation is not yet known, but its just the latest blow for a rotation that has been battered by stints on the IL.
The Tribe (40-30) moved within two games of the idle Chicago White Sox for the top spot in the AL Central. The Cubs (40-33) lost for the sixth time in eight games, and shortstop Javier Báez was pulled by manager David Ross after he made an embarrassing mental mistake that led to a double play on a routine fly ball.
Both teams will wrap up their quick two-game series Tuesday night at Wrigley Field. Rookie Eli Morgan (0-1, 12.79 ERA) will make his third career start against Chicago veteran Kyle Hendricks (9-4, 4.13).
More sports headlines:
- 2021 NBA Draft Lottery: Start time, TV channel, odds, top prospects
- Former Browns defensive end Carl Nassib becomes first active NFL player to come out as gay
- Supreme Court ruled against NCAA, but student-athletes won’t be getting paid, yet
- Indians president Chris Antonetti reveals which celebrity he would want to have dinner with: 'Beyond the Dugout' interview
- Ohio athletes prepare for the Tokyo Olympics with just over a month until the games
- Former NCAA coaches, players react to Supreme Court ruling in favor of certain financial benefits for student-athletes
- 5 reasons why the Cavaliers should consider a Ben Simmons trade