CLEVELAND — Editor's note the video in the player above is from a previously published, related story.
On Monday, the Ohio Division of Liquor Control and the City of Cleveland announced that seven hotels in the area have been approved to serve alcohol past normal operating hours for the weekend of the NBA All Star Game.
The hotels, all of which are located in Cleveland, will now be able to serve alcohol to guests and patrons until 4 a.m. from Feb. 18 through Feb. 21.
The seven hotels approved include the Holiday Inn Cleveland Clinic, Hilton Downtown, Hotel Indigo, Metropolitan at the 9, Westin Downtown, and the Betts at Kimpton Schofield Hotel.
The approval is thanks to a special permit first introduced back when Cleveland held the Republican National Convention in 2016, and allows venues to apply for a waiver to serve drinks until the early morning while the city hosts major events.
Although more than 80 applications were submitted by businesses in the area, the City of Cleveland recommended just the seven applying hotels to receive permission from the Ohio Division of Liquor Control. Officials say that economic benefits and COVID-19 were taken into consideration when looking at the applications.
"The decision will allow for optimal public safety throughout the city, while also accommodating the needs of players and visitors to enjoy a meal after the evening’s official NBA events," Cleveland officials said in a release.
The NBA All-Star Game will be held Sunday, Feb. 20 at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse with events scattered throughout the weekend.
MORE NBA ALL-STAR GAME WEEKEND COVERAGE:
- RELATED: Hornets' LaMelo Ball, Spurs' Dejounte Murray named 2022 NBA All-Star Game replacements
- RELATED: 2022 NBA Rising Stars team rosters revealed; Cavs' Evan Mobley and Isaac Okoro on same team
- RELATED: Joakim Noah pokes fun at Cleveland following Chicago Bulls' NBA All-Star selections
- RELATED: Court for 2022 NBA All-Star Game in Cleveland revealed
- RELATED: Cleveland Cavaliers' Darius Garland named to 2022 NBA All-Star Game