CLEVELAND — After months of anticipation, we are just about set to see the 2019 Cleveland Browns take the field for the first time in a game setting.
Yes, it's only the preseason. Yes, it doesn't count. But I'm fascinated to see this football team in action against someone from an opposite team.
So what should we expect on Thursday night against the Redskins? 'The Voice of the Browns,' Jim Donovan, dropped a few nuggets for us on the Donovan Live Postgame Show, presented by Master Pizza.
- Baker Mayfield will play, just not very much
- Don't look to see Odell Beckham Jr. or Jarvis Landry. Both were ill earlier this week. You will see a lot of Derrick Willies, Jaelen Strong and Ishmael Hyman
- You will see Nick Chubb run the football, you probably WON'T see Kareem Hunt or Duke Johnson
- Look for the Browns to throw the football quite a bit. One of the things the coaches want to look at is how well the team does in pass protection.
- Myles Garrett might be the only starter on the defensive line who sees action on Thursday
- The two kickers, Greg Joseph and Austin Seibert, will alternate kicks as the competition starts to pick up
We've got just over a month to go until the Browns start for real. Just keep that in mind as you watch the game on Thursday night.
Time for a showdown
The Indians took care of their business on Wednesday, sweeping both ends of a doubleheader against the Rangers at Progressive Field. They stand just two games behind the Twins in the American League Central Division as the two teams prepare to open a four-game series at Target Field on Thursday.
It's clear that Jose Ramirez has rediscovered the hitting prowess that made him an MVP candidate in each of the past two seasons. He hit homers in both games on Wednesday and seems to be benefitting from the presence of Yasiel Puig and Franmil Reyes in the lineup.
I'm curious how the Tribe's young pitching staff will fare this weekend. The front office felt comfortable enough with Mike Clevinger, Shane Bieber, Adam Plutko, and Zach Plesac to trade Trevor Bauer last week. Now this young rotation will get a taste of what pennant race pressure is like.
Watch the Donovan Live Postgame Show in the player below: