AKRON, Ohio — A 26-year-old woman has died after authorities say she was shot at her residence in the 1600 block of Summit Lake Boulevard in Akron.
Authorities responded to the scene around 11:55 p.m. Monday, July 4, where they say “it appears the bullet came through the front window” and struck Chelsey Jones in the head as she was sitting on the couch, according to the Summit County Medical Examiner’s Office.
Jones was taken to a nearby hospital where she later died at 1:43 p.m. Tuesday.
The Akron Police Department said officers later found 9mm casings on a boat dock by the Summit Lake Community Center, which is across the lake from the victim's house.
No additional details were immediately available, but stay with 3News as we will update this story if more information is released.
- The stress of constant violence and controversial issues weighs on mental health of Americans
- Man charged in connection with deadly pursuit that killed Bluffton officer Dominic Francis pleads guilty to 2 charges
- 'Unacceptable': Cleveland Police say 21 people shot, 3 killed during July 4 weekend incidents
- Watch: Cleveland firefighters battle flames overnight, cite reports of kids throwing fireworks into home
- New details on pilot, passenger released after small plane crashes in Akron
Editor's note: Video in the player above was originally published in an unrelated story on July 4, 2022.