FORT MYERS, Fla. — Meechie Johnson Jr. made a game-winning 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds left and Ohio State beat No. 21 Seton Hall 79-76 in the Fort Myers Tip-Off.
Pirates guard Jamir Harris stole it and raced for a fast-break layup to tie it at 76 with 15.9 seconds left. The Buckeyes elected not to call a timeout and the Garfield Heights native Johnson made his team's 11th 3-pointer — from NBA range.
Seton Hall got it to Tyrese Samuel for a decent look at the buzzer but it bounced hard off the backboard.
E.J. Liddell led OSU (4-1) with 28 points, making all 10 of his free throws and shooting 8 of 17 from the floor. Johnson had only eight off the bench, but three of them were the biggest of the game.
Jared Rhoden finished with a career-high 29 points for Seton Hall. The Pirates had only four assists as a team and shot just 38.1% from the field.
Ohio State will face either California or No. 23 Florida Wednesday night for the Fort Myers Tip-Off Beach Division Championship.
More sports headlines:
- WKYC.com High School Football Playoff Game of the Week: Archbishop Hoban to face Avon for trip to D-II title game
- LeBron James receives first suspension of NBA career after altercation with Isaiah Stewart
- Why is Baker Mayfield playing through injuries? Browns QB, Kevin Stefanski, explain
- Former Indians relief ace Doug Jones dies at 64
- Browns QB Baker Mayfield responds to getting booed by home crowd
- Chris Olave sets new Ohio State school record for career TD receptions